Here are a few things that went well:
1. Our Get-To-Know-You Bingo
2. Collaboration lessons learned from a group competition - 5 groups raced to put together their SpongeBob puzzle first. Terrific opportunity to discuss working together, "divide and conquer" strategies and recognize persevering students who did NOT give up.
3. Dictionary Hunt - After discussing a few dictionary terms, kids worked with a partner to hunt through a dictionary to find guide words, parts of speech, and definitions. They really loved this activity. Maybe I even won over a few dictionary naysayers. :-) You can read more about this and get the handouts for free here.
4. Great Poetry Race Intro - more on this later!
5. Reflection Post-it Activity
6. Classroom Jobs - Students generated ideas, I added my own, and then they applied for a job. Here is the description and application sheets for you to download for free if you like. They are left in Excel format so you can adjust them however you want! Just click here for the Classroom Jobs and click here for the Application.
So how has your school year gone so far?